Wednesday, 20 January 2010


Well, two entries for this year's Myslexia competition in an envelope, ready to go! Scary. I've decided to up the ante and work on setting aside real time to write, while I have that time, anyway. So, every day I'm going to work on what needs doing and towards the novel part 2. Though I'm a bit blocked there. Also, trying to do a bit of A215 every day as well, even if just half an hour. On the plus side, I have TMA05 and possibly the ECA in draft form already. Unless I won a prize (unlikely!!!) I can put my myslexia entry experience to good use for the 'going public' TMA.

I've found a better way of editing than chucking the baby out with the bathwater and then banging my head on the floor. I'm highlighting the 'good bits' and then working to link them up with more 'good bits'. That's helped with the short stories anyway.

As part of my 'What on earth am I doing?' virtual sort out, I printed off last year's output (50 pages of it! Close typed!) and I'm already collecting together stuff for 2010. I've written a short story about a book club (in the editing phase) and one about a true experience I had when patient was threatened (mostly edited). I have made up a very unscientific scale for work - 1/5 means just raw material and 5/5 means as good as it's going to get. 6/5 means I overdid it and even I don't understand it any more. This means I can see at a glance where everything is and what needs doing on my whiteboard. Now I just need to clean up my folders on the PC. The same short story might be in half a dozen folders. I have a feeling if I made a folder called absolutely never save anything in this folder it would be full of random drafts by the end of the week. At least one draft would be an empty page. I would have no way of distinguishing one draft from another, maybe better one. So I have to be strict and archive the 2009 stuff and start again with 2010. Oh, and write something for the OCA that I like, rather than just think is OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment