Friday 28 September 2012

Learning again

Having waited all week, I have heard that I shall get an offer for my book on Monday. I'm still astonished by that. Wow. Of course, they may offer ten quid and a Mars bar. Fair enough.

Well, the writing class was OK, and I did learn some useful stuff, as well as meet other writers, which was very cool. We looked at Hemingway's classic story:

 For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never Worn

It makes the reader speculate and fill in all the gaps, I think of it as concentrated story, but other students thought all sorts of things about it. I have always assumed the narrator is male, for example, but many thought it was a female. We looked at story structure, and got prompts to write our own mini story. I had to think hard why I wanted to join, essentially, a mixed class of writers having studied writing at post-graduate level but last night confirmed - I want to learn to be more comfortable presenting my work and having feedback, and I want to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of writing. Like a lot of writers, my work comes out of having read so many books, and I'm not always sure what I am doing, or if it works, why it works. It was good to have to start with the basics...consider the reader. I hope that at some point, a few of the group might want to start a writing group.    

5 comments:

  1. "Of course, they may offer ten quid and a Mars bar."

    See you if you can raise them to a Snickers, Reb. And do not accept fun size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I should definitely check the small print? Good idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congratulations on your upcoming offer! Even if it's only for a little bit, it's still exciting. Though I hope it's for a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could cope with a lot, I think! But publication is the exciting bit for any newbie writer, I suspect.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.