Tuesday 28 June 2011

The joys of editing? (800)

Having started chapter 11 it's back to chapter 1 to tidy up and trim down. I hate this bit, mostly because I don't really know how to do it. I do have a book on editing and revision, snappily titled Revision and Self-Editing by James Scott Bell, who wrote my favourite book on plotting. Which I can't do either. 

I don't mind faffing about with language, I'm OK at seeing the silly mistakes where you don't know who's talking etc. (I also know I'm terrible at seeing repetitions, but I do hear them when I read them out to no.1 son!) My problem is the big stuff, who knows what when, which order is everything in? Are characters consistent? I'm worried that chapter 1 will end up overwritten and the later chapters won't be written enough, so I'm just going to edit in order while I keep writing the main book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.