Tuesday 30 July 2013

Ten weeks to go...generating publicity

You could have written (and maybe you have!) a really great book. But if no-one knows about it, how will they buy it?

Talking yesterday to the publicity and marketing departments, and was completely reassured. People will be told about my book. They will be offered opportunities to read it, or write reviews. They were helpful, encouraging and had ideas. For example, some authors put up readings, extracts or interviews on youtube, which reaches a different audience from, say, someone who reads the broadsheet reviews (of which there are few). It also made me realise the networks of people I am part of are more than I appreciated. I need to master all this networking stuff.

I also need to master twitter. Not easy... I am just worried it will take up more time I don't have. It would be easier if I had one of those all singing/all dancing phones that do twitter and FB and emails. Mine only begrudgingly does texts.

So I'm reading Tweet Right by Nicola Morgan and making copious notes. My ambition is to find my way to putting up a picture on Twitter, maybe even this blog post. I wonder if it will work? I have managed to tweet before but have never been sure quite how I did it. I think my address on Twitter is @RebAlexander1 and hopefully I have tweeted a picture of our neighbourhood badger. Possibly. Possibly not.  

Meanwhile book 3 races on, and I'm loving writing what I think is the best of the trilogy (possibly because it's the one I'm working on).

4 comments:

  1. I found you on Twitter and I'm following you :) Congrats on your US deal, I have one too, it is such an exciting thing isn't it? Good luck with the publicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, I'm just working Twitter out! Well done on the US deal, where next? It's such an exciting journey, isn't it. Every now and then I just have to lock myself in a room and squeal and jump up and down and embarrass the cat. I'll let you know how the publicity goes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Rebecca - ah yes, the publicity machine - I'm right in the throws of that now. They do an amazing job, don't they? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do. I wouldn't have a clue. It all seems real now.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.