Tuesday 3 July 2012

Magical day

We spent the morning at Sizergh castle, which has wonderful panelled Tudor rooms and halls. Great, huge, impressive. This evening, we found a lovely pub with fantastic food, went for a walk through the fields back to the village, then up to the church for a concert by the Broughton Parish Church Choir. The church, from the 1500's, was packed, and the large choir absolutely filled the space with all sorts of church music from Handel, Bruckner (which was awesome), Rutter and Vaughan Williams. They even got the congregation joining in. About  50 men and boys, absolute magic. 


It did make me think about my two characters, Jack and Sadie, forced to move into a new community. Jack has few social skills, but Sadie is fifteen, and I think going to a church concert might be a way to meet the locals. Not to mention, all the 1500's architecture helps me set the action.


I know I can write good descriptions, but it's something I don't feel inspired to do (or even remember). I know where everything is set, and I'm not very good at putting it on the page. I've got plenty of material now, with the bonkers cottage, the concert and the castle. It's all helping me develop the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.