- I will stop home educating this year after 22 years, my youngest is off to college
- I love writing more than I expected and I'm writing easily (and stuff I like)
- I need an adventure
- I miss the Isle of Wight and my friends
- All the time I've been a creative writer I've been creative in other ways e.g. textiles
- I'm fascinated by psychology, and the social construction of 'madness'
- Looking into a new job made me look at THIS
|The embroidered letter of Lorina Bulwer|
This is the rant of a middle aged woman locked up in the imbecile ward - full of dementia patients, alcoholics and mentally ill and learning disabled people - of a workhouse. She came from a middle class, well educated background, and lived with her mother until the latter's death. Her rants reveal evidence of sexual abuse, that was not acknowledged at the time (her abuser is named and was suspected of abusing another 13 year old. He confessed to having written the child a number of explicit letters but denied touching her).Then her brother placed her in the workhouse.
I'm itching to use this amazing story in a project, so I have looked into this course. It inspires me as the sister of someone who wrestled with mental illness and had her voice taken away, as well as an artist and writer. Who knows? I'm also in the strange position of having some money to invest, so there might be a little income to spend.
I have no idea where this idea will take me, or whether it's a step in the direction of something else, but it's great to feel like we're moving forward again!