Wednesday 12 June 2013

Five hundred posts later...

I tend to look back at my journey when I hit milestones like the hundreds. I don't post every day, sometimes I post just once a week, and they are largely about how the writing is going. I'm beginning to repeat myself, in some cases several times, but I have noticed a change over the last few years and books.

I'm more confident in what I'm doing. I'm better at recognising the good writing, less bothered about the scale of writing a book or editing one. I have more confidence in the fantasy side. I'm seeing writing in a more pragmatic way, rather than the process of exposing my skills/lack of to the world or even a single reader. I know that in four months, my book will be out there for people I have never met and probably never will to like or not like and there's nothing I can do about it. I know I'll have the odd day when I just want to apologise for the mistake on page 114 or whatever, but it will be out of my hands, book 2 will already be a done deal at the publisher's and book 3 will probably be finished as well. I've changed enormously and the process has been journalled in this blog.

But I'm wondering where it goes next. Do I want a 'warts and all' blog documenting my fears and failings out there? I've also blogged about my mental health problems, my lost daughter, sister and husband, all deeply personal stuff and it's all mixed up with the writing stuff. I'm not sure if being exposed through my books might be enough and it might be time to pull the plug on the writing blog. After all, I did call it 'A Writer's Journey to Publication.' What do I do when I arrive?

The thing is, years ago I was completely inspired by a number of bloggers who were further along that journey than I was. Candy Gourlay, for example, shared every step of the way. Sarah Salway's old blog was also constantly encouraging, as well as beautifully written (check out her new blog here). Dean Crawford too...and Cally Taylor, the list is actually way too long to put here. So, if my strange journey can help anyone else, I'm happy to tidy it up and continue but part of me thinks I need to focus on a 'proper' website/blog about the books. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?   

5 comments:

  1. Keep up the blog - I love hearing how far you've come. But, yes, it would be a good idea to have a 'proper' website. You're a professional now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, thanks for the encouragement! I'm working on a website but it's slow going, way more complicated than a blog. I still can't think of myself as a professional yet, maybe when the books come out!

      Delete
  2. I suspect that the public's reactions to the book will drive the blog and how much more 'professional' and less 'personal' it needs to become to reflect how the World perceives you and how you feel you need to preserve your privacy, etc.

    I wouldn't worry about it too much, or tinker with it for now.

    I've always enjoyed the blog, and hope you'll continue simply to be you and to share as you always have for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nik, I suppose I'm just speculating on what I ought to do come October. This publishing career doesn't come with a handbook, I'm feeling my way, really. My instinct is to do what you say, you're more in that world than I am!

      Delete
  3. As a general rule, when thinking what to include on my own blog, I think about what I like to read on other writers' blogs. I like a bit of personal stuff, I like to get a sense of a personality, lifestyle etc. I've seen some writers reveal too much, to the point where you think they might be hindering their career. I've never thought that about you!

    Confiding a little about fears or worries, whether it's to do with writing or your real life, is fine, and appealing to your readers. I also like to come here because you're on a journey (on the subject of which - I'm not sure it ever ends, really) and it's a journey I'm interested in. Hearing about it, sometimes just the little aspects of it, is useful.

    Maybe change the title: A writer's journey IN publication?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.