Wednesday 13 March 2013

More Reality

This whole journey to publication has been surreal. It never felt as if it was happening, I kept waiting for someone to say 'Oh, that Rebecca Alexander...no, sorry, we meant this one...'. I had a contract, I signed it, I went back to writing...everything carried on exactly as before. There was no huge fanfare, no change, it just all seemed the same. But suddenly, it's all started. the book is available on Amazon pre-order (although it won't come out until October) and Waterstones. Wow. Hopefully the cover art will go up soon, because I love it.

Oh. My. God.

We spent a few days on the Isle of Wight seeing friends and family, and it was lovely. Well, the weather was arctic with blizzards and we had to chip icicles off the car, but the welcome was very warm! We also stopped in the bookshop to talk about having a book signing party with friends and start a list of invitations for October, and we were swept away by the manager's enthusiasm, and everyone else's. I am lucky to have a group of spectacular friends who have chosen very different and individual paths in life, who have just as exciting lives and news, and we loved seeing them again. All of them very kindly accommodated my ridiculous new coeliac disease with fantastic gluten free food, for which we are grateful! Sadly, we didn't get around to everyone but hope to see them in October if not before.

Back home, the builders have left and we have an echoing new room where the ceiling is secure, the walls aren't held together by the seventies paper and the bathroom hasn't been declared a national collection of rare moulds. Between us we hope to sand the floor, paint the woodwork and doors, and make it into a lovely room to be. It is nice to have the house back from builders, even though they are the nicest workmen we've ever had. The cats are glad they've gone too.

Meanwhile, my back is recovering from too many hours in the car, and I'm sorting through emails etc. Back to snagging the book tomorrow. I've read through it, leaving comments where I've found inconsistencies, characters who've vanished into mid air or changed names etc and am working through them. Then I'll print it off and read it out loud for language. Then, maybe, it'll be ready for someone to read! 

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel, I felt the same. I kept expecting to wake up from a dream! Exciting that you're with Del Rey. Funnily enough I was re-reading my notes from the RNA conference last summer about the new Del Rey imprint and it sounded really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the feeling ever wear off? It's taking me a long time! I'm really excited to be with Del Rey UK, along with some amazing female writers (and some male ones too) but it still feels too good to be true...

      Delete
  2. SO exciting! Can't wait to see the cover.

    Glad the builders have gone, and your back's recovering too :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I'm waiting to see the updated and agreed cover too. It's made me work much harder on the sequel, anyway!

      Delete
  3. Squeeee! I can go to the Isle of Wight! Unless you do a south coast tour? (Happy to help.)

    Am blogging about this and have had the honour to be the first to "like" your book on Amazon. (Totally legit for me to do so since I've read it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely legit! Would love to see you on the Island if you can get there. I'm dangerously excited at the moment, have to lie down in a quiet room and breathe into a paper bag from time to time. I was wondering, when the sequel is tidied up if you would be up for a look?

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.